SDFL division one

Salcombe Town 5,

Ipplepen Athletic 1

On another blustery day at Malborough, Salcombe took on Ipplepen in one of the few league matches to survive the weather.

After the disappointment of conceding a late equaliser last week, Town were determined to get early goals on the board.

Playing with the wind in the first half, Salcombe put early pressure on the Ipplepen defence and were rewarded in the fifth minute when Charlie Barnes got on the end of an Olly Stallard through-ball to give them a deserved lead.

If the players thought they could relax, they were sadly mistaken as, straight from the kick-off, Ipplepen pushed forward and, with their striker through on goal, he was brought down for a clear penalty. It was a well-taken one, which brought them level.

With the wind causing all sorts of problems for the away defenders, Town went looking to get themselves back in front, creating chances but not really testing the Ipplepen goalkeeper.

The breakthrough came, however, on the half-hour mark when Kieran Stallard, returning from a two-month injury layoff, beat the keeper with a well-placed shot from distance.

Salcombe went searching for more goals, as it was clear that in these conditions a 2-1 lead was probably not going to be enough. Barnes went close, hitting the bar, but it was not to be.

Town, then, went into the break holding a slender lead.

As expected, Ipplepen came out for the second half all guns blazing.

Ewan Grewal in the Salcombe goal had to be alert to turn away a couple of

goalbound efforts.

As the half wore on, though, Ipplepen seemed to run out of ideas as the Town back four of Lee Merchant, Luke Milton , Will Giffen and Matt Thorn held firm. With a slight drop in the wind and the sun coming out, Salcombe began to get themselves back on top, with Olly Stallard and man of the match Harrison Ward winning everything in midfield.

Midway through the half, the killer goal came, with Ashley Yeoman getting on the end of a Giffen free kick to score off the post.

This seemed to demoralise Ipplepen and Yeoman quickly got his second after being played in by Ward.

There was only one team in it now, and just before the end Yeoman completed his hat trick after a good ball by substitute Ryan Colmer, who had come on for the injured Olly Stallard.

There was no last-minute despair this week as Town closed out the game to earn a well-deserved three points.

Salcombe have another home match tomorrow when they take on last season’s title rivals Paignton Saints.

Kick-off at Malborough is at 2.30pm.