A 24-year-old Devon musician is in custody facing life in prison after he admitted murdering teenage woman Bobbi-Anne McLeod.

Bobbi-Anne, who was 18, was last seen alive waiting for a bus near her home in Plymouth on Saturday November 20 last year.

Her body was found ten miles away in woodland near Bovisand beach in the South Hams three days later.

Cody Ackland, who pleaded guilty to one count of murder, is now behind bars awaiting sentence next month.

Bobbi-Anne’s disappearance provoked vigils and, when Ackland was charged, protests outside the court.

Women living in Plymouth said they were scared to leave their homes after her body was found.

A family vigil was held where her mum and siblings walked from their home with candles to the bus stop where she went missing.

The following night dozens of women attended a vigil on Plymouth Hoe

The judge at Plymouth Crown Court, Robert Linford, thanked Bobbi-Anne’s family and friends, who packed the court public gallery, for the commendable way they behaved during the proceedings, after earlier warning them to remain calm.

He told Ackland he would be imprisoned for life and the only matter to be considered was the minimum term.

"You have pleaded guilty to murder, which has a sentence fixed by law. I will sentence you to imprisonment for life and the only issue will be the minimum term I must impose,” he said.

Judge Linford added: "You will be remanded in custody until that date and you may now go down."

Devon’s Police and Crime Commissioner Alison Hernandez said: “I can’t even start to imagine the pain that Bobbi-Anne McLeod’s family and friends have been through over these past few months.

“While there is no justice that can bring Bobbi-Anne back, I’m pleased this case will be concluded swiftly and I truly hope the family will get the answers they need to provide some closure on this terrible incident.

“I’d like to thank the police for their hard work in bringing Cody Ackland to justice. I’d also like to thank the community of Plymouth who have shown courage, empathy and incredible support during this dark time for the city.

Police said they noted the guilty plea.

Devon and Cornwall Police’s Assistant Chief Constable Nikki Leaper said: “Our thoughts remain with the McLeod family and those close to Bobbi-Anne who have had a daughter, sister and friend so cruelly taken from them.”

Bobbi had been last seen at a bus stop but never arrived at a planned meeting with her boyfriend.

More than 13,000 people joined a private Facebook page set up to coordinate searches to find her.

At the time of Bobbi-Anne’s murder, Ackland was the lead guitarist in a local indie band, Rakuda. After he was charged, the remaining members of the band released a public statement that the band is breaking up.

The group was named after Bar Rakuda, a popular venue in the centre of Plymouth, and built up a cult local following. In a message posted on Facebook, Rakuda announced it would no longer perform as a mark of respect.

The band later updated the statement, saying they were overwhelmed by the volume of positive responses and would take a view to reforming in 2022.

They said: "Our thoughts and sentiments stay with Bobbi-Anne’s family and friends at this distressing time."

Ackland will be brought back to Plymouth Crown Court to be sentenced on 19 May.