Halwell B in important derby win

By Tim Leigh in Snooker

Ivybridge A continued their march to­wards the title in division one of the Totnes and District Snooker League by comprehensively beating strugglers Totnes 5-1.

Ivy raced into a 3-0 lead with little opposition and when Derwyn Morris scraped through to win his second frame and make it 4-0 on the final black, with Mark Hembry adding his second frame soon after, it looked like another 6-0.

Hembry showing his class with two more breaks of 31 and 32.

Howard Finch came to the rescue of his side, though, and clung on to pinch the final frame by a single point to ensure Totnes didn’t go home empty handed.

Modbury missed a good chance to get closer to the leaders when they were held by Woodlands in a 3-3 draw.

In fact, Mike Collins’ side were up against it in the tie as Woodlands flew into a 3-1 lead, courtesy of Steve Cairns winning both of his frames either side of captain Adrian Rendle. Cairns with a solid break of 31 in the process.

Collins was having none of it, though, and took his second frame of the evening, followed up by Darren Clarke, who claimed the final frame and secure the draw.

Down at the bottom there was a huge opportunity for either of the Halwell sides to take advantage of the heavy loss suffered by Totnes in the three-way relegation battle.

It was Halwell B who were victorious in fine style over Halwell C by a 5-1 scoreline – a result which could have a massive bearing on the outcome of this season.

Every frame was well fought for, but B always had the upper hand; Charlie Kneil and Dennys Treeby both taking two wins with captain Colin Finch picking up the final point for B.

Kevin Wreyford was the lone scorer for C, who now look resigned to returning back to division two next season.

Halwell H and Mill C will both still feel they have a shot at the division two title, so there was all to play for when the two sides met at Halwell.

Luke Beard made light work of taking the opening frame for Mill, but Halwell came straight back into a 2-1 lead with Paul Gilbey and Steve Archer securing comfortable wins.

In the battle of the two captains in frame four, it was Mill’s John Trant who triumphed over Halwell’s Chris Varker on the final black to make it 2-2.

When Archer took his second frame, though, Halwell were back in front and desperately seeking the victory.

But it was that man Luke Beard though who cruised through the final frame to secure the draw.

In truth the result didn’t really help either side, the real winners being Mill B, who still sit on top of the table.

In the only other match of the week, Halwell G ran out expected winners away to bottom side Diptford with a 4-2 win.

In truth Diptford put in a solid perfomance belying their league position, competing in every frame, and took the lead early on through captain Graham Lethbridge.

Halwell took the next three though as the trio of captain Mike Buckpitt, Geoff Holt and Barrie Taylor put the visitors into a commanding lead.

Chris Steer made it interesting by taking the fifth frame for the hosts, but Buckpitt calmly took the final frame and his second of the night to secure the win for Halwell.

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C